On June the 8th thousands of people will head to London to send a message to the G8 that we want them to take action.
One in eight people go to bed hungry, yet there is Enough Food For Everyone. You can add your voice to the call help make 2013 the beginning of the end of the global food crisis.
Time after time we have seen that campaigning works: The Jubilee debt campaign ($110 bn of debt cancelled), the bribery act passed, the dropping of $748m Haiti’s debt in 2010 and so many more. Campaigns make a difference, will you?
The reality is that there is Enough Food For Everyone IF…
- we give enough aid to stop children dying from hunger, and help the poorest people feed themselves through investment in small farmers
- we force governments and big corporations to be honest and open about their actions that stop people getting enough food
- we stop big companies dodging taxes in poor countries, so that millions of people can free themselves from hunger
- we stop poor farmers being forced off their land, and use crops to feed people, not fuel cars
We are asking everyone to join us in London on June the 8th for a great and powerful day. The brief overview of the day is as follows:
10:45 People from the A&B Diocese will meet on the green outside Westminster Central Hall. This will allow us to get together and also get a seat for the service.
11:30 Ecumenical Service in Westminster Central Hall (aka Methodist Central Hall). Arch Bishop Vincent Nichols will be present at the service. After this we will also try to regain a place on the green to re-meet and walk together to Hyde Park.
1pm ‘Walk of witness’ from Westminster Central Hall to Hyde Park
2-5 pm Main event in Hyde Park. Details TBC but this will be a great focal point of the day sending a message to the G8 whilst being a brilliant and fun experience of a peaceful demonstration.
The more people that attend, the stronger message we can send to the world leaders that we care.
What are we asking of you?
- Most importantly please register your attendance at the G8 rally http://www.cafod.org.uk/Campaign/Take-action-today/IF-CAFOD-G8-Rally-Sign-up
- Email the link to the sign-in page above to your friends, family or fellow Parishioners and encourage them to sign-up and come along.
- You can also sign up for the G8 rally on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/438636779563976/ (please do the above first) then invite all your facebook friends to go too. (Also send encouragement to go on the CAFOD webpage too)
- We have T-shirts available for the day which will highlight the campaign and the fact that you are a CAFOD supporter. Please register above and let us in this office know you would like a T-shirt. We would ask for £5 to help cover the costs of the T-shirt.
We would also ask that you raise awareness of the Campaign and the Rally in your Parish. Could you?:
- Make sure the following announcement appears in your Parish newsletters:
On June the 8th thousands of people will gather in London to send a peaceful message to the G8 asking them to ensure that they will (1) stop companies tax dodging in poor countries, (2) stop poor farmers being forced from their land, (3) force governments and companies to be honest about their actions that stop people getting enough food and (4) invest in small farmers through their aid programmes. We could make 2013 the start of the end of global hunger. Please see the poster at the back for more details and register at www.cafod.org.uk/g8rally
- Please display the poster in your Parish, anywhere visible such as a notice board, coffee tables etc. Click > AnB IF G8 Rally Poster 1 < to download the poster and get in touch with the A&B CAFOD office if you would like to be sent any posters. (email@example.com or 01483 898 866). There is a Papal poster available, but this doesn’t have details about the day, to download one of these click > G8 rally Pope poster AnB <
- We can make either poster into a flier, if you want some fliers to hand out then let us know
- Ask your Priests if it would be possible to give the short announcement at the end of Sunday Mass. Get in touch for a suggested short talk.
- Consider trying to sell some IF wrist bands. They only cost £1 and can be ordered from the local CAFOD office IF WRIST BANDS poster
- If you are able to encourage your Parish to sign our Hungry For Change campaigns cards (available from the A&B office or firstname.lastname@example.org) then please do. Ask them to sign the card and write a message on the loaf or fish. Collect these loaves and fish and either send them to the A&B CAFOD office to be added to our Diocesan banner or make a banner for your own Parish. Ideally the banner will be in the shape of the IF logo as in the picture below.
- If you would find it easier to use a simple petition, then you can download one by clicking here > IF Offline sign up form < Please return them by the 3rd of June.
- If you are on Twitter, please try to tweet about the IF campaign. Contact the local A&B CAFOD office for some simple tweets. If you only tweet once during a week, Monday lunch time would be great. Or follow @martincafod and get re-tweeting.
- If you are in or around Guildford you may like to hop on the coach which will be leaving Guildford at 9:30. Do get in touch with us in the office for more details.
- Perhaps you would be able to pray for the day, if you would like to organise a vigil or small prayer group with friends do get in touch for some suggestions.
Fundamentally we hope that as may people as possible will come to London on June the 8th so that we can send a powerful message to world leaders to sort out global hunger. We hope this message will be loud and clear and the G8 will listen. It would be great if we could get a good representation from our Diocese, showing our solidarity with the most disadvantaged, making their cause our cause. Please join us and bring a friend.
More info can be found at http://www.cafod.org.uk/Campaign/Take-action-today or from your local CAFOD A&B office (email@example.com or 01483 898 866)